It is a weight loss surgical procedure to lose between a 50-60% of excess weight, in which the stomach is reduced to approximately 25% of its original size, along the greater curve. The procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach, it is performed laparoscopically, and it is irreversible. The Gastric Sleeve can also be carried out as a previous step to a Gastric Bypass in patients with a BMI above 60. Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index).
1.- Arrival of the patient to the hospital:
- Personal information is taken from the patient to enter the operating room area.
- An intravenous line and antithrombotic compression socks are placed on the patient.
- The Anesthesiologist interviews the patient to go into the operating room.
- The patient is put under anesthesia to clean and prepare its skin, and dressed in sterile clothing.
2.- Approach: - Minimally invasive surgery.
- Five small incisions are made in the abdominal wall, or one incision in the case of a single port.
- CO2 is introduced into the abdominal cavity to create an optimal working space.
- Introduction of work ports, an inspection of the abdominal cavity is made.
- Calibration of the sleeve with a 32-36fr probe.
- Lengthwise resection of the stomach through a stapling endoscopic system.
- Trans operative tests are performed with dye to verify the tightness of the sleeve.
- Extraction of surgical piece.
- Invagination of the staple line with a nonabsorbable suture to minimize the risk of bleeding and leakage.
- The capacity of the stomach after the procedure is approximately of 150ml.
- Work ports and CO2 are extracted, and abdominal wounds are closed both internally and externally.
Gastric Sleeve post-operative
1.- The patient goes to the recovery room and later to its personal room.
2.- The patient can start walking the same day.
3.- The next morning a test is done through water-soluble contrast and fluoroscopy to verify that there are no leaks and to see the anatomy of the sleeve.
4.- The patient will start taking in clear liquids and if they are tolerated, the patient could be discharged.
Medications taken during the first two weeks should be crushed and dissolved.
- The first revision is after three days the patient is discharged. Afterwards, the patient must go for a check-up the following 3, 6 and 9 months.
- Stitches are removed 10 days after the surgery.
- The patient will have nutritional and psychological monitoring during the process of weight loss.
- One month after the surgery, the patient will be able to perform any type of physical activity.
Safety regarding teenagers
Endorsed by the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
Recent studies have found that it is safe and effective, which results in weight loss similar to the weight loss observed in adult patients who undergo the procedure without affecting their growth or development.
Benefits of a Gastric Sleeve
1.- Control over chronic-degenerative diseases such as Diabetes, due to the hypocaloric diet and the weight loss, plasma glucose levels are lowered, and sensitivity to insulin is improved.
2.- Energy consumption is significantly reduced by inducing a negative energy balance, a condition that improves glucose tolerance and causes weight loss that also leads to hormonal changes in ghrelin, leptin, GLP 1 and PYY levels.
- Hospitalization: 1 day.
- Starting the diet: less than 24 hours after surgery.
- Integration to your daily tasks: two weeks after surgery.
- Sports performance: one month after surgery.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
• Pre and post-operative exams.
• 1 hospital night.
• Medical fees.
• Medicines inside the hospital.
• Nutrition consultation after surgery (1 and 2 of nutrition and / or one month of follow-up).
• Psychological assessment + 1 consultation (stage 1 and 2 of Psychology) / or one month of follow-up.
• Stay of a companion in the facilities of the hospital.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
• Extra charges due to complications or extra non-standard tests additional to the package offered.
• An additional charge applies to patients with a BMI (Body Mass Index) greater than 50, which is considered high risk.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT OF THE SURGERY:
Once your appointment for surgery is confirmed, the hospital will require an initial refundable deposit to reserve the date suggested by you and the balance will be reimbursed.
Recommended hotels (not included in the surgery price)
• HOTEL EJECUTIVO EXPRESS WEB HERE
• HOTEL LA ESTANCIA TAPATÍA WEB HERE
• HOTEL CITY EXPRESS PLUS WEB HERE
* Previous approved surgeries.
* A previous deposit is required to confirm the surgery.